- A Comparative essay presents a comparison between two things. In this type of essay you may "discuss" ideas by writing about the case for and against something, or you may be asked to "compare" different views, events, people or things.
As with other essays you need VERY clear about the purpose of the topic you are comparing. The crucial element is to answer the question in an order that makes most sense to the reader.
Look at the following student essay sample to see the components of a comparative essay.
Here are some comparative buzz-words that you can use in your writing in order to keep your essay concise and flowing. Comparative buzz-words are words that you can use to transition sentences and paragraphs in your essay.
Some examples of comparative buzz words are:
is similar to on the other hand
too in contrast
as well while/unlike
The five steps to the Writing Process are:
1. Prewriting - Get ideas/inspirations about your writing.
2. Drafting - Transferring your ideas onto paper. Writing your essay on computer or on paper.
3. Revising - Making any neccessary changes to your writing to make it sound better to your audience.
4. Editing - Making grammar changes. Examples would be: Spelling, Grammar, Punctuation, Subject/verb agreement, and Word usage.
5. Publishing - Sharing your finished work with your classmates.
You can choose a topic of your choice to write about. Once you have chosen your topic, incorporate the five steps of the writing process into your essay.
Some comparative sample topics are:
Compare and contrast:
1. Watching a movie in the theatre or at home on DVD
2. Vacationing at the beach or the mountains
3. Fresh food instead of canned food
Use the following Venn Diagram worksheet to organize your writing before you start your essay.
Once your essay is done, you should read it over for any errors. This means it needs to be edited. You can read your essay yourself or you can have one of your peers review it for you. The following is a checklist you can use to have a peer read over your essay and leave comments.