As you and your students use the ideas found on this site, you will develop the following basic skills and concepts.
- Understand that a map is a representation of an area.
- Become familiar with school and immediate surroundings.
- Understand the meaning of near and far in the location of objects.
- See that the pictorial symbols on a map stand for natural features on Earth and for things made by people.
- Apply cardinal directions to simple maps.
- Locate places and follow simple routes on small-area maps.