A. Exploration of 21st Century Skills in Relation to Current and Future Careers
- Pick one of the following professions (Try to pick on that no one else in this course has picked):
|1) Medical and Health
|5) Information Technology
|9) Radio and Television
||21) Real Estate
- Research the skills necessary to get and succeed at a job in this industry. Which of the 21st Century Skills are required for that job or profession? Critically analyze how well are your students currently being prepared for this profession. What skills do they need that they are not currently getting at your school?
- After you have posted your analysis. Read the other postings, and look for common themes. Determine which of the 21st Century skills seem to be emerging as the most critical for sucess in the 21st Century job market, and post these to the discussion.
B. Value of 21st Century Skills in Terms of Common Core Standards
- 1. To what extent do you see value in teaching 21st Century skills?
- 2. How you can integrate 21st Century skills within your content.
- 3. Should education is just the learning of content, or does it encompass more than that?
- 4. Do you see 21st Century skills are new skills, or as skills that have always been important educational skills?
- 5. How do you think we can we best prepare learners to thrive in the 21st Century global economy?
- 6. Based on what you read and learned from the videos, explain why some educators think it is important to assure that all students are acquiring 21st Century skills, and why some say that it is not important. Then explain your thoughts on the importance of 21st Century skills in the curriculum.
- Remember to be prepared to defend your ideas using information from ALL the sites you’ve explored so far as well as your personal experience.
C. Analyze how well 21st Century skills are being taught in your classroom and at your school. (Note: If you are not an and educator, you can either share your experience at Foothill, or your experience with your child’s/children’s school(s).) Please share the following:
- 1. Which of the 21st Century Skills that business and industry say are necessary for a 21st Century workforce do you feel are:
- a. embedded in your curriculum?
- b. emphasized at your school as a whole?
- 2. Which of the 21st Century Skills that business and industry say are necessary for a 21st Century workforce do you feel are
- a. not emphasized in your curriculum?
- b. not embraced by your school as a whole?
- 3. How are you currently teaching (or are learning) 21st Century Skills. If you are not, why?
D. Introduce yourself. Where do you work (or are you a full time student), what do you do (or what is your major if you are a full time student), what do you enjoy outside of yor work, and why are you taking this course? What do you know about teaching 21st Century Skills, and what do you need to know? Pitch your project idea to get ideas and feedback from your fellow learners.