Instructional Development matured as a field of its own during the 1970s.
- Criterion Referenced Instruction (CRI) is introduced. Developed by Robert Mager it is a comprehensive set of methods for the design and delivery of training programs.
- Graduate Education programs focusing on instructional systems design grew
- Proliferation of ID models - addition of needs assessment
- Existing association of professionals were redefined (i.e. AECT)
- Journal of Instructional Development founded
- (1976) Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak design the Apple I
Existing associations of professionals were redefined
- NEA’s Department of audiovisual Instruction became the independent Association of Educational Communications and Technology
- National Society for Programmed Instruction became National Society for Performance and Instruction