to go to Khan Academy's Hour of Code Webpages for 2016
2016 Class Codes to join Kahn Academy Hour of code activities:
Sign up and then use this code to join a grade level class:
3rd Grade: BFH54S
4th Grade: 5UMR3W
5th Grade: 37KXBE
6th Grade: 4JNC5S
7th Grade: GYGK2N
Click Here to use Khan Academy content for an Hour of Code.
Here's a breakdown of what you'll pick from:
- Hour of Webpages: This hour teaches your students to make their own webpages using the basics of HTML and CSS, finishing with a holiday greeting card. Requires good typing
skills and a keyboard. Recommended ages: 10+.
- Hour of Databases: This hour teaches the fundamentals of databases, which are how apps store data about users and content. Your students will use SQL to create tables with data and query them, finishing with a project to create a database for an imaginary store. Requires good typing skills and a keyboard.Recommended ages: 12+.
Each option includes the following content:
- Instructional videos and “talk-throughs”. Talk-throughs are like videos, but you can pause them and play with the code in realtime.
- Coding challenges, which give the student a chance to practice the concept and give us a way to automatically grade them and award points.
- A final project, a way for students to use what they’ve learned in a more creative, free-form way.
We believe that it will take students about an hour to get through any one of the options. However, we also believe on Khan Academy that students should be able to learn at their own pace, so we encourage you to give students more than an hour (like 1.5-2 hours), or make it clear that they don’t need to finish the entire lesson.
What is Hour of Code?
Hour of Code is an initiative to get students to spend an hour of time learning to program, as part of national CS Education Week (December 7-13, 2015). Hopefully, after spending just one hour coding, students will want to keep going with many more hours of code.
Please share your experience with Kahn Academy and Hour of Code in the Comment Box below.