|Choosing your category|
How Do I Choose My Category?
Do you have special interests or talents that lend themselves to a specific category? How can your material best be expressed? Answering the following questions may help you decide.
1. Do I enjoy writing?
2. Am I more comfortable expressing myself on paper rather than in front of an audience?
3. Am I trying to convey a complex idea that requires a lot of explanation?
1. Do I enjoy being in front of an audience?
2. Do I like to act?
3. Can I sing or play a musical instrument? (Musical talent is not necessary, but many students incorporate music into their performances.)
4. Can my topic be expressed dramatically?
1. Do I enjoy creating things with my hands?
2. Do I have room to keep an exhibit once I create it?
3. Do I have a way to transport my project to a contest?
4. Can I tell my story primarily through pictures and artifacts instead of words?
1. Do I have access to and enjoy working with media equipment?
2. Do I have access to editing equipment that I can operate?
3. Do I have a VCR, television, slide projector, tape recorder, computer, etc. that I can take to a contest?
4. Will my research be most clearly presented as a documentary?
Do I enjoy working with computers?
Do I have access to a laptop computer to present my entry at the contest?
Do I have a basic knowledge about developing websites?
Can I effectively present my topic in a website?