|Cheek Cell Virtual|
Learn how to use the virtual microscope.
Cheek Cell Lab
1. Familiarize yourself with the microscope, run the tutorial and examine the parts you will be working with.
2. View the slide labeled cheek smear. Sketch the image at Scanning, Low and High Power. LABEL on high power the CELL MEMBRANE, CYTOPLASM, and NUCLEUS.
3. Go to google and type "cheek cells" into the search box. Click on "images" to see all the images google has found on the web showing cheek cells (there should be hundreds).
4. Why are the google images of cells different colors? What is the natural color of a cheek cell?
5. Use the internet or your textbook to define or describe each of the following terms that relate to the cell.
6. Keeping in mind that the mouth is the first site of chemical digestion in a human.Your saliva starts the process of breaking down the food you eat.Keeping this in mind, what organelle do you think would be the most numerous inside the cells of your mouth? (Hint: what organelle is responsible for breaking things down and digesting?)